This is a throwback to my first love, the old-fashioned murder mystery. My first foray into this genre was Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. I remember borrowing my sister's copy at a young age and being enraptured by the novel. This was swiftly followed by my falling deeply in love with all things Christie. I have every Poirot, every Marple, and almost every novel Christie has written. Which brings me to this. I've been desperately trying to find another author who captures my attention, rivets my mind the way Christie has. Every time I re-read And Then There Were None, I still get goose bumps.

So, I'd began my harrowing search for another Queen(or King) of mystery when I came across this jewel. I feel absolutely ashamed I never knew the great A.A. Milne who influenced my childhood in such amazing ways with Winnie the Pooh, also penned this delicious murder mystery.

There are multiple viewpoints. The first part initially being from the servants and there's a nice upstairs/downstairs effect, getting the viewpoints of the haves and have nots. Mark Ablett, the owner of the Red house, lives with his cousin Mr. Cayley. They're having a group of people visiting. The morning of the incident, Mark announces at the table his disreputable brother is coming to visit. Everyone leaves to golf, leaving the house empty with only, Mark, Cayley, the servants, and the arrival of Robert, Mark's brother.

Robert ends up dead, Mark gone. Enter Mr. Gillingham. The star of the novel. Our amateur sleuth. Friend of one of the guests out golfing he becomes the Holmes, his friend, the Watson. It's a wonderful novel that is reminiscent of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd in some ways.

There are some surprises and twists and it's a fun read. The characters get physically involved and emotionally invested. There are secret passages and well...ghosts!

Comments

07/30/2016 9:27am

02/08/2017 2:06am

I always love mystery books, movies and the like. I am fond of creating deductions and solving crimes. That's why I admired Sherlock Holmes and Detective Conan. Our bonding moments with my friends is guessing the culprit in a movie or series episode. I've also collected a lot of mystery books in the house.

07/30/2016 10:42am

This is really an amazing post and I love the way you shared this experience here. A lot of people love to learn from such things and it helps a lot when we are in some same situation to deal with it.

08/06/2016 3:38pm

The red house mystery is really an amazing thing for all the people because in this way the people can make their life really an amazing thing for all of us. I hope that the people will get all those things which is best for us.

08/14/2016 8:09am

Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity on your put up is simply cool and i could suppose you're an expert in this subject.

09/15/2016 4:32am

I wonder why so many writer use the term "red house"?

10/10/2016 3:47am

I also read the book The Red House Mystery and I would like to share my point of view about this book. It’s rather a surprise to realized that Milne, now known best for his Winnie-the-Pooh books, poetry for children and dramatization of The Wind in the Willows, Toad of Toad Hall, wrote a detective novel. In the entertaining foreword to the book, Milne writes that he wrote the kind of detective novel that he himself liked to read in good English, without romantic interruptions, with a strictly amateur detective and a slightly less intelligent Watson to whom the detective must explain his reasoning. The book is then ended with the murderer’s confession, and Gillingham’s explanation of how he arrived at the correct conclusion and managed to alarm the murderer into confession. In short, this is an entertaining crime novel, but one which I’m unlikely to want to re-read.

11/28/2016 12:23am

Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity on your put up is simply cool and I could suppose you're an expert in this subject.

05/25/2017 5:32am

Some really useful slides here. I've been looking for something like this to help with a research piece I've been working on.

07/04/2017 1:08am

Hope that this red house mystery is resolved now.